You’re no doubt familiar with the dictum to “do one thing every day that scares you.
“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”Eleanor Roosevelt
The directive to “face your fears” is often boiled down to platitudes: Doing scary things helps you grow! The magic happens outside your comfort zone! Well-meaning though the sentiments may be, they’re unhelpful without the why.
And because fear serves a real and important purpose — keeping us out of harm’s way — the directive to frighten ourselves on purpose is fraught.
So what’s the scientific case to be made for doing things that scare you?
Start small and become more daring.
By taking small risks on a daily basis, you will notice that every time you do something that scares you, you diminish your fear a little bit.
Take the challenge, and for the next 30 days, commit to doing things that scare you. You can use these examples, or make up your own:
30 days challenge
- Today I made a tough decision when it came to __________.
- Today I dared to ________.
- Today I achieved mastery when ______.
- Today I dared to fail in ____________.
- Today I took a chance on __________.
- Today I mastered ___________.
- Today I said no to ___________.
- Today I stopping avoiding _______________.
- Today I accepted a compliment when _________.
- Today I asked for help from ______________.
- Today I stopped doing ______________.
- Today I let go of ________________.
- Today I got rid of ________________.
- Today I acknowledged that ______________.
- Today I showed courage when ___________.
- Today I surrendered to ________________.
- Today I took a chance on _________________.
- Today I reached out to____________________.
- Today I dared to confront ______________.
- Today I took a risk in_____________________.
- Today I said goodbye to __________________.
- Today I challenged myself to _______!
- Today I did the hardest thing for me when I _________________.
- Today I did something worth doing: __________!
- Today I traveled to _______.
- Today I was bold when ________.
- Today I resisted fear by ___________.
- Today I took a leap when ________.
- Today I had the courage to ________.
- Today I said yes to__________.
If you do one thing that scares you every day. You will be bolder, braver and and more successful.BBN
Source : Lolly Daskal specializes in leadership & entrepreneurial development. |Top columnist @Inc | Leadership Coach| Business Consultant| Author| Speaker| Tedx Speaker